All About WIC

WIC Women Infants ChildrenWhat is WIC?

WIC, a federal program administered locally by the Allegheny County Health Department, is a health and supplemental nutrition program for Women, Infants and Children that provides:

  • individualized nutrition counseling
  • supplemental nutritious foods and infant formula
  • breastfeeding support
  • Farmers Market Nutrition Program vouchers
  • referrals to health care and community services
  • immunization screenings and referrals.

Who can get WIC?

  • Pregnant women
  • Breastfeeding women or women who recently had a baby
  • Infants up to 1 year of age
  • Children up to 5 years of age
  • A custodial father, foster parent or legal guardian of a child up to age 5 may receive WIC for that child.
  • USA citizenship is not required.

What foods will I get on the WIC Program?

  • Women and children receive:
EggsPeanut butter
Soy beverageDry or canned beans/peas
TofuWhole grains (bread, rice, and tortillas)
Fresh, frozen, and canned fruits and vegetables year-round
  • Breastfeeding women, whose babies do not get formula from WIC, receive canned tuna, salmon, or sardines in addition to the other WIC foods.
  • Infants receive:

    Iron-fortified formula, infant cereal, and jarred fruits and vegetables; exclusively breastfed infants also receive jarred infant meats.

  • Many Pennsylvania WIC Program-approved special formulas are available through WIC when prescribed by a physician.
  • You can buy WIC foods at any Pennsylvania grocery store that participates in the WIC Program. WIC foods help stretch your food dollars. Each person on WIC receives about $50.00 a month worth of food.
  • Foods purchased must be on the Pennsylvania WIC Approved Food List.

How do I qualify for WIC?

You and/or your child must:

  • meet medical or nutritional risk criteria;
  • meet income guidelines;
    • If you or your child is on Medical Assistance, Food Stamps, or TANF you automatically meet WIC income guidelines.
    • Many working families qualify for WIC (see the sidebar).
  • reside in Pennsylvania.

How do I get on the WIC Program?

  • Ask your health care provider to fill out a WIC application and send it to WIC.
  • If your health care provider does not have WIC applications, call 412-350-5801 and WIC will mail an application to you.
  • WIC applications are available at or you can fill out a pre-application.
  • If you do not have a health care provider, call WIC at 412-350-5801. The Allegheny County Health Department will help you get an application completed.

What happens once my WIC application is sent to WIC?

  • WIC Program staff will review your application.
  • If you meet both medical/nutritional risk criteria and income guidelines, WIC staff will contact you to schedule your first appointment.
Pennsylvania WIC is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)

The USDA prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.

You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.