Summary of Low-Income Assistance Programs

 TANF Extended TANFSNAP (formerly food stamps)SSISSDI
Who is eligible? Low-income families with children (including people caring for their relatives’ children) and pregnant women.  Adults must comply with work requirements.Low-Income families who have used all of their 60 months of regular TANF.  Adults must comply with work requirements that are stricter than regular TANF.Almost all low-income citizens. Many immigrants are now eligible.Low-income people with disabilities, blind, or age 65+. Immigrants may not be eligible during their first 5 years in the United States.People with long-term disabilities, blind, or 65+ and with significant work histories
What does it provide?Cash.

One person: $205/month

Two people:


Three people:


Through the ACCESS card, credits to use at grocery stores. Amount depends on income, household size, family composition and housing and utilities costs.Cash.

One person: $710.00/month

Married couple:



One person: about $2,000/max per month *

Family: $3,400/max per month *

* Depending on work history

Medical coverageYes: Medical AssistanceYes: Medical AssistanceNo (you need to apply for Medical Asst.)Yes: Medical AssistanceYes, but only after 2 years: Medicare
Are there time limits?Yes: Entire family loses TANF once any adult in the family has received TANF for 60 months after 3/3/97No.In most parts of PA, childless adults ages 18-47 may be limited to 3 months in a 3-year period if they are not working. **NoNo
Where to apply Local welfare office. To find the nearest office, call (800) 692-7462Notify your  caseworker that you want to apply for extended TANF.Local welfare office. To find the nearest office,  call (800) 692-7462 Local Social Security Administration office, or call (800) 772-1213. Local Social Security Administration office, or call (800) 772-1213.

** These individuals, Able-bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWD’s), are exempt from time-limited participation in the SNAP/Food Stamp Program until September 10, 2010.