Fresh Corners is one of the “food desert” intervention programs implemented by Just Harvest. The program works to provide fresh food access to “food desert” communities by partnering with local store owners to provide affordable access to fresh produce and other nutritious food products.
As a Fresh Corners Outreach Intern, your job will be to help create and implement outreach plans for the participating stores in the program. By implementing these outreach plans, you will help increase community awareness about the Fresh Corners program and help increase store traffic and community support for participating businesses.
This internship incorporates skills including community organizing, marketing, volunteer management, and research.
Interns are needed to assist on the following projects:
- Engage closely with community stakeholders, residents, business owners, and agency partners to raise awareness about Fresh Corners stores
- Conduct interviews with store owners and collect relevant content to create marketing materials for participating stores
- Conduct follow-up calls with SNAP clients and become knowledgeable about the SNAP program and barriers to benefits
- Research innovative marketing strategies for promoting Fresh Corners by looking at similar programs around the country
- Outreach, and canvassing work to promote community adoption and customer engagement
- Recruit and train volunteers to assist with canvassing and outreach activities
- Collaborate with partner organizations (i.e. nutrition education providers) to implement promotional events and activities in appropriate stores
- Create marketing and promotional materials
Time Commitment: We are seeking interns who can commit to a minimum 15 hours per week for a 10 week period. Some weekend and evening availability is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Comfort talking with new people
- Strong leadership skills
- Basic computer skills
- Comfort working with diverse groups
- Must be able to work in all of our Fresh Corners neighborhoods (Uptown, McKees Rocks, McKeesport, Rankin, Larimer, Carrick, Mount Oliver, East Liberty)
- Experience conducting door to door canvassing
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Amanda Fry via firstname.lastname@example.org.