If you have a passion for ending hunger and strengthening the social safety net programs that are meant to help low-income people keep food on the table, then we need you!
Volunteers can use a wide variety of talents to fight hunger in many ways: making phone calls, distributing petitions, planning special events, assisting with administrative tasks, distributing information about our services, helping people apply for food stamps, and ways we haven’t even thought of yet!
If you are interested in having your group volunteer with Just Harvest, please visit our Group Volunteer Opportunities page.
|Winter and Spring:
Summer and Fall:
We help our clients overcome the bureaucratic hurdles in the application process, such as getting their paperwork together and contacting a caseworker. SNAP volunteers help out in a variety of ways:
- Follow-up with clients as they go through the Food Stamp application process to see if they need any additional help.
- Help with clerical work related to food stamp application assistance.
- Volunteers who can commit to a minimum of 4 hours per week and wish to be trained may conduct eligibility screenings and applications.
- Read more about SNAP volunteers here.
- Help organize or participate at rallies, forums, and other events.
- Encourage others to speak out – phonebank, door knock, or use social media.
- Circulate petitions and sign-on letters.
- Help others register to vote and make non-partisan reminder calls prior to elections.
- Host A Fundraising Party: Invite your friends, family, or co-workers over for a casual (or not so casual – your choice!) social gathering. Just Harvest can provide a speaker and encourage your friends and family to get involved in the fight against hunger. For details, contact Ann by e-mail or call at 412-431-8960 ext 109.
- Join the Grassroots Fundraising Committee: If you like to plan small events, this committee is for you! For details, contact Ann by e-mail or call at 412-431-8960 ext 109.
- Special Events Team: Do you like helping out at special events with greeting, setup or decorating? Sign up for the special events team and you’ll be among the first to know about our upcoming events and ways that you can get involved!
- Photo and Video: Use your creative talents to help fight hunger! Volunteers are needed to help take photos and shoot video at events such as rallies and community meetings, and for special advocacy campaigns and projects.
- Social Media: Help us keep great content on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.
- Media Response Team: Help us respond to media by commenting on blogs, and newspaper articles.
Did you know that about half of the people eligible for SNAP, WIC, and Summer Food do not participate in those programs? Help get the word out by representing Just Harvest at community events, distributing fliers, and talking to other service providers.
Help us keep track of it all. You can assist with the smooth and successful operation of Just Harvest by performing clerical work including photocopying, faxing, filing, routing incoming mail, and data entry.