One in seven residents of Allegheny County rely on SNAP benefits (food stamps) to keep food on the table. At Just Harvest, we believe that everyone deserves access to the healthiest, freshest food available. Our Fresh Access program equips farmers markets to accept food stamp benefits, and we are working to get the word out!
We’re looking for an outreach and events intern to increase participation at our farmers markets and implement community events at the markets.
- Manage events at the markets (cooking demos, market tours, etc.)
- Train and manage Fresh Access event volunteers
- Integrate and implement nutrition education activities and materials at markets
- Collaborate with community partner organizations to implement events at the markets
- Outreach to organizations, schools, and places of worship about distributing materials, hosting a speaker, and/or coordinating services
- Conduct various outreach activities with volunteers including door to door outreach, distribution of flyers, and community events
- Conduct follow-up calls with SNAP clients and become knowledgeable about the SNAP program and barriers to benefits
Time Commitment: We are seeking interns who can commit to a minimum of 20 hours per week for a 10 week period. Some weekend and evening availability is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Comfort talking with new people
- Strong leadership skills
- Basic computer skills
Passionate about farmers markets and fresh food access
Ability to work independently and comfortable working in diverse groups
- Must provide their own transportation to events in Allegheny County
- Ability to work a flexible schedule is preferred
- Access to a car is preferred
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Amanda Fry via email@example.com.