Just Harvest is looking for volunteers to assist the Fresh Corners initiative which works to provide fresh food access to “food desert” communities. A “food desert” is a community with limited access to fresh foods, where the nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. The Fresh Corners program seeks to improve communities from within by partnering with local store owners to provide affordable access to fresh nutritious food.
Volunteers are needed to assist on the following projects:
- Developing retail-food business plans
- Developing/ conducting food demonstrations and or other nutrition education activities for participating stores
- Assisting in community research efforts including surveying and story collecting
- Promoting community adoption of healthy retail options through canvassing and marketing activities
- Working with local business owners and community members.
Time commitment: flexible
Training: provided on a one-on-one basis with each volunteer
Preferred: has own transportation