The Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit lift more working families out of poverty than any other program. However, to access the credit, many low-income families pay hundreds of dollars in tax prep fees. Through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, low-income families can access these vital tax credits without paying any preparation fees.
Just Harvest has sites located at CCAC Boyce Campus (Monroeville), Bedford Hope Center (Hill District), SHIM Family Center (Baldwin) and our main office (South Side).
As an intern at one of our VITA sites, you will prepare accurate tax returns for low-income families and individuals, ensuring that they receive all credits that they are eligible for.
- Attend and complete training sessions – this includes both online self-study as well as in-person classroom trainings.
- Pass IRS certification exam: the IRS requires that all preparers pass a test that demonstrates their ability to prepare accurate tax returns.
- Work with Quality Review Specialist to ensure all returns are completed accurately.
- Courteously greet clients and conduct intake interviews.
- Accurately prepare federal, state, and local taxes in a professional and friendly manner.
- Complete property tax, rent, or local services tax rebates when appropriate.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist with the smooth operation of tax site, including paperwork as necessary.
Time Commitment: Tax preparation interns are required to spend 10 hours each week preparing taxes for the duration of tax season (mid-January – mid March).
- Have basic computer skills
- Basic understanding of taxes, and a willingness to learn.
- Good communication skills
- be comfortable working with people from all walks of life.
Training: Expect to spend about 16 hours in training and testing during the first three weeks of January. Ongoing training and support is provided throughout tax season.
To apply: You can fill out a volunteer application at volunteer.uwswpa.org. On the application, indicate that you are interested in an internship. Applications are available in early November.