You can help keep struggling families from being taxed into poverty. Volunteer at one of our tax sites!
For 15 years, our tax sites have helped thousands of low-income households in Allegheny County to maximize their tax refund without paying any hefty prep fees from commercial agencies. In 2017, our free tax return preparation program put more than $6 million dollars back into the pockets of nearly 3,000 working people.
You can help make this tax season another HUGE success by being a client greeter or tax preparer at our tax site!
Volunteer Tax Preparers:
- Receive free tax training and pass an open book certification test.
- Prepare federal, state, and local returns.
- Work with a wide variety of clients from all walks of life.
- Commit to a set schedule of 3 hours or more each week for the duration of tax season (January 16, 2018 – April 17, 2018).
- Available Hours: Weekdays 10am-8pm, Saturdays 9am–5pm
- Location: We are recruiting for all four of our tax sites (South Side, Bedford Hope Center, CCAC Boyce Campus, and Prospect Park Family Center)
To volunteer as a tax preparer, please fill out an application at www.swpafreetaxes.org
Tax Client Greeter & Referral Volunteers
- Greet tax clients as they come in.
- Help clients fill out their intake forms and get their paperwork ready.
- Discuss other Just Harvest programs with clients.
- Discuss refund and savings options.
- Help clients register to vote
- Engage clients in our policy campaigns and invite them to sign petitions and/or call their legislators.
- Make appointment reminder phone calls.
- Assist with data entry or other tasks as needed.
If you are interested in becoming a tax client greeter, please fill out the greeter sign-up form below.