JOB TITLE: Food Stamp Specialist
Job Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Reports to: Operations Coordinator
Positions Supervised: None
Position Summary: Assist applicants in applying for food stamps. Provide client advocacy services and public policy input and conduct community outreach campaigns to alert eligible applicants of the services provided by Just Harvest. This position will also perform duties in our Fresh Access Program and Tax Program as assigned. Minorities and fluent Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrate and reflect the mission and values of Just Harvest.
- Broaden public understanding of Just Harvest anti-hunger and anti-poverty mission through community education programs, media outreach, and publications.
- Conduct pre-application screening for food stamp eligibility of people in need of food stamps.
- Assist clients:
- In completing food stamp applications.
- With post-application requirements such as verification of information, recertification of eligibility, and compliance with welfare department requirements.
- In communications with the Department of Human Services (DHS).
- Call clients at regular intervals (10, 20, 30 days) to monitor the progress of the application and identify and assist with barriers or problems encountered.
- Identify and resolve problems in clients’ food stamp applications to assist eligible clients in receiving benefits.
- Interact with DPW caseworkers and other staff to resolve problems facing clients.
- Prepare and distribute community outreach materials to promote food stamp participation.
- Contact and engage local social service agencies, employers, schools, and other organizations to promote food stamp participation among people in need.
- Work with community partners to strengthen collective outreach campaign activities.
- Keep accurate and detailed client service records in both paper files and client databases.
- Contribute ideas or materials to the Just Harvest publications.
- Participate in Just Harvest staff meetings.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required for the Position
- Ability to
- Maintain confidentiality
- Work as part of a team
- Interact/work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Be understanding of client’s needs
- Handle confidential information with discretion
- Defuse stressful situations
- Work as part of a team
- Computer literacy, including competency with MS Word, EXCEL, and Access; and knowledge of or ability to learn the Department of Public Welfare’s on-line Compass application system.
- Set work schedule but occasional evening or weekend work
- Small office setting with limited resources
- Primarily sedentary work requiring ten pounds or less of exerted force
- Computer usage that requires repetitive motions
- Local travel as required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
- Prior volunteer or work experience with community organizations preferred
- Familiarity with the food stamp and/or welfare system strongly preferred
Compensation: $15.25 per hour, 35 hour work week plus health insurance, and sick, vacation, and personal days.
Electronic submission is preferred. Send substantive cover letter, resume, and professional references as attachments (in Word or PDF formats) to email@example.com with “Food Stamp Specialist Application” in subject line. Applications may also be mailed to: Just Harvest, 16 Terminal Way, Pittsburgh PA 15219, attn: Food Stamp Specialist Search. Applications must be received by August 21, 2017.
No phone calls, please. Selected applicants will be contacted by August 30, 2017 for an interview.
Note: Other current job announcements at Just Harvest are listed at www.justharvest.org. To apply for more than one position simultaneously, list each job title in the subject line of your submission.