Help expand Just Harvest’s Fresh Access program!
We are looking for volunteers to help with Fresh Access. The program enables shoppers to use their EBT/food stamps, credit or debit cards to shop at farmers markets. Volunteers can choose to be on-site assisting at the markets on a regular basis, or volunteer occasionally by helping distribute fliers, being a secret shopper or collecting surveys.
To sign up, please fill out our volunteer application form on this page or contact Volunteer Coordinator Amanda Fry at email@example.com or (412) 431-8960 x124.
Market Assistant Volunteers:
- Conduct the majority of token transactions utilizing a wireless Point of Sale (POS) terminal
- Interact with vendors and customers in a friendly and professional way
- Explain the EBT program clearly to customers
- Treat food stamp customers with dignity and respect and without discrimination
- Safeguard the wireless terminal and tokens from damage and loss during market hours
- Assist with set up and tear down of kiosk
- Assist project coordinator as needed with other tasks
Time Commitment: We are looking for volunteers who can commit to one day a week (4 to 5 hours) for at least 5 weeks—and more is even better! Market Season runs from early-May until Thanksgiving week.
Physical Requirements: Work outdoors, potentially in extreme temperatures. Ability to lift 30 lbs for kiosk setup.
Location:Review the list of our current market locations.
Promote the Fresh Access program! Many SNAP recipients are unaware that they can use their benefits at farmers markets. Help get the word out by distributing fliers, talking to other service providers, and at community events. Outreach volunteers should feel comfortable approaching others and speaking in front of groups.
Help us maintain the integrity of the program by going undercover as regular food stamp shoppers and ensure that our vendors are upholding the rules of their vendor agreement.
Survey Collection & Story Collection:
Help us evaluate the effectiveness and impact of our programs by collecting surveys from our customers and vendors at the market. Help us conduct follow-up interviews to get more detailed stories from our customers.