Just Harvest is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteran status, and that all are given every opportunity to succeed.
Just Harvest educates, empowers and mobilizes people to eliminate hunger, poverty, and economic injustice in our communities by influencing public policy, engaging in advocacy, and connecting people to public benefits.
Job Title: Healthy Corner Store Project Coordinator (of our Fresh Corners program)
Job Status: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Reports to: Executive Director
Positions Supervised: Interns and volunteers
Position Summary: Implement Just Harvest initiative to enable small food stores in low-income neighborhoods to carry and successfully market healthier food products to improve consumer access to nutritious food.
- Demonstrate and reflect the mission and values of Just Harvest.
- Broaden public understanding of Just Harvest’s anti-hunger and anti-poverty mission through community education programs, media outreach, and publication.
- Acquires knowledge of the public policies that impact JH mission
- Build public relationships with key coalition allies, clients, and constituencies
- Represents Just Harvest to store owners and managers and promotes the project to stores.
- Identifies sources of technical and other support for Healthy Corner Stores and enables linkages between stores and these resources
- Develops and implements community-based marketing approaches to support food access and healthy corner store project goals
- Cooperates with key coalition partners on achieving shared project goals
- Assists Just Harvest with related sustainable food systems issues and initiatives
- Represent Just Harvest to the media and public as needed.
- Participate in Just Harvest staff meetings.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required for the Position
- Ability to:
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Work as part of a team.
- Listen to others.
- Work with and not for the members.
- Work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Work efficiently with limited resources.
- Work as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Excellent written communications.
- Computer literacy, including competency with MS Office.
- Proficiency with spreadsheets and financial data.
- Flexible work schedule including regular evening and occasional weekend work.
- Small office setting with limited resources.
- Regular work outdoors.
- Job at times is fast-paced and at other time sedentary requiring 20 pounds of exerted force.
- Computer usage that requires repetitive motions.
- Frequent local travel expected to targeted stores and communities, with occasional travel to regional, state, and national meetings.
- Lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum one (1) year relevant experience in food systems issues, food-related economic development, public policy, grassroots or community organizing, social work, or a related field
- Familiarity with issues relevant to the Just Harvest mission
Starting wage is $16.66 per hour, 35 hour work week, plus paid health insurance, retirement benefit, and sick, vacation, and personal leave.
To apply for this position:
Send a resume, a cover letter describing why you are an excellent candidate, and contact information for three references as attachments (in Word or PDF formats) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Healthy Corner Store Project Coordinator Application” in subject line. Electronic submission is preferred. Applications may also be mailed to: Just Harvest, 16 Terminal Way, Pittsburgh PA 15219, attn: Healthy Corner Store Project Coordinator Search. Applications must be received by July 31, 2020. No phone calls, please.
Just Harvest is a Drug-Free Workplace