Just Harvest is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteran status, and that all are given every opportunity to succeed.
Just Harvest educates, empowers and mobilizes people to eliminate hunger, poverty, and economic injustice in our communities by influencing public policy, engaging in advocacy, and connecting people to public benefits.
Job Title: Grassroots Organizer
Job Status: Non-exempt, Full-Time
Reports to: Executive Director
Positions Supervised: Interns and volunteers
Position Summary: Enhance Just Harvest’s effectiveness by identifying, developing, recruiting, and mobilizing a diverse group of members and coalition partners to advance issues that reflect Just Harvest’s mission of eliminating hunger and poverty.
- Demonstrate and reflect the mission and values of Just Harvest.
- Work with other staff, members, volunteers, clients, and constituents to develop and implement grassroots organizing and policy advocacy agenda.
- Participate in Just Harvest’s Mobilization Team to:
- Plan and execute organizing and policy advocacy strategy
- Broaden public understanding of Just Harvest’s anti-hunger and anti-poverty mission through community education programs, media outreach, and publication.
- Support members, constituents, and grassroots advocates in effectively sharing stories, images, and lived experience to inform and advance our anti-hunger and anti-poverty policy goals.
- Organize Just Harvest’s non-partisan voter registration, education, and engagement activities
- Acquire knowledge of the public policies that impact JH mission
- Build public relationships with key coalition allies, clients, and constituencies.
- Share information and organizing opportunities with Just Harvest’s constituents
- Assist with grassroots fundraising and integrate fundraising into Just Harvest’s organizing agenda and activities
- Develop and implement training opportunities for members, clients, and organizing partners on mission-related policy issues, and on organizing/advocacy strategy and tactics
- Develop and implement grassroots organizing components of Just Harvest advocacy campaign activities.
- Recruit diverse members, clients, and constituents to participate in Just Harvest advocacy campaigns activities.
- Identify, recruit, and develop potential grassroots leaders and spokespeople for Just Harvest.
- Develop relationships with current and new coalition partners to leverage Just Harvest’s strength and effectiveness in advocacy.
- Advance Just Harvest’s focus on racism and other forms of system oppression as root causes of hunger and poverty.
- Represent Just Harvest to the media and public as needed.
- Participate in Just Harvest staff meetings.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required for the Position
- Ability to:
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Work as part of a team.
- Listen to others.
- Work with and not for the members.
- Work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Work efficiently with limited resources.
- Work as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Excellent written communications.
- Computer literacy, including competency with MS Office.
- Flexible work schedule including occasional evening or weekend work.
- Small office setting with limited resources.
- Occasional work outdoors.
- Job at times is fast-paced and at other time sedentary requiring 20 pounds of exerted force.
- Computer usage that requires repetitive motions.
- Travel expected to local meetings, with occasional travel to regional, state, and national meetings.
- Lifting up to 20 pounds.
- Minimum two (2) years relevant experience in public policy, grassroots or community organizing, social work, or a related field
- Expertise in issues relevant to the Just Harvest mission, including an understanding of racism and other forms of system oppression as root causes of hunger and poverty.
- Use of reliable car necessary
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of government and organizations in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County relevant to hunger and poverty is strongly preferred.
Starting wage is $16.66 per hour, 35 hour work week, plus paid health insurance, retirement benefit, and sick, vacation, and personal leave.
To apply for this position:
Send a resume, a cover letter describing why you are an excellent candidate, and contact information for three references as attachments (in Word or PDF formats) to email@example.com with “Grassroots Organizer Application” in subject line. Electronic submission is preferred. Applications may also be mailed to: Just Harvest, 16 Terminal Way, Pittsburgh PA 15219, attn: Grassroots Organizer Search. Applications must be received by July 31, 2020. No phone calls, please.
Just Harvest is a Drug-Free Workplace