JOB TITLE: Bilingual (Spanish/English) Tax Preparer
Job Status: Part-time, temporary, non-exempt
Reports to: Tax Site Coordinator and FTP Coalition Director
Positions Supervised: None
Position Summary: Just Harvest is seeking a skilled and committed professional to provide high-quality free tax preparation assistance to Spanish speaking low-income workers and elderly taxpayers who cannot afford paid professional assistance.
- Attend online staff trainings, including tax law, tax site procedures, ITIN applications and using TaxSlayer software.
- Successfully pass IRS Advanced certification exam on required tax law knowledge.
- Directly prepare taxpayers’ federal, state and local tax returns based on information provided by taxpayer and answer tax-related questions as necessary.
- Assist taxpayers in completion of ITIN (Individual Tax ID Number) applications as necessary.
- Interpret for taxpayer and reviewer during the tax return review process to confirm understanding and accuracy of tax returns.
- Ensure a copy of completed return is provided to the taxpayer and correct documentation is maintained at the site.
- Maintain accurate records of assistance provided.
- Follow-up with taxpayers who have not completed their returns.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality policy. Treat all taxpayers with respect and professionalism.
- Provide information about other programs, such as food stamps, that taxpayers may be able to utilize.
- Assist Tax Project Manager with development of new materials or procedures for Spanish speaking taxpayers as necessary.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluently in Spanish and English
- Tax preparation experience preferred, but not required
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with a wide range of people
- Strong interest in helping low-income people learn about their rights
- Commitment to anti-hunger/anti-poverty mission
- Prefer persons who can work with us for multiple tax seasons.
Compensation: $16.75/hour. A temporary employee is not entitled to JH benefits except those required by law.
Location: South Side office location. For the 2021 tax season, tax preparation will be completed in the office or from home with limited in-person client contact and health and safety protocols in place.
Hours: 12 hours per week during the tax season (January 21-April 15th), including Saturdays and one regular weekday evening or daytime shift. This is a part-time, seasonal position.
Training: Paid, mandatory training is held in December and early January.
Working Conditions: Small office setting with limited resources; primarily sedentary work requiring ten pounds or less of exerted force; computer usage that requires repetitive motions.
Electronic submissions only. Send substantive cover letter describing your interest in the position, preferred location and hours you are available, resume, and professional references as attachments (in Word or PDF formats) to email@example.com with “Tax Return Reviewer Application” in subject line. Applications must be received by December 30, 2020. No phone calls, please.