Just Harvest needs you to volunteer for this coming tax season!
You may not know this, but tax season is amazing.
Every year – thanks to many, many dedicated volunteers like Vaughn in the above video – we help a few thousand low-income families access several million dollars in tax credits. The number of people we help keeps going up every year because every year we have more volunteers!
You should really consider becoming one of those volunteers because you get to
- learn a new skill;
- see on people’s faces the impact you are making in their daily life, and get all of the warm fuzzies;
- work with other incredible volunteers; and
- find something that will fit your schedule because we operate all kinds of hours in multiple locations.
But wait, why taxes??
Very often when I meet with a new volunteer who is just learning about Just Harvest, I start to talk about taxes and a look of confusion comes across their face: What in the world do taxes have to do with hunger and poverty?
The answer is simple: the Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC) and Child Tax Credits (CTC) do more to lift working families out of poverty than any other program in the country. It lifts over 9.1 Million Americans out of poverty, and about half of whom are children.
For many of the people we serve, their EITC will provide more than 40% of their annual income. It’s just not fair that they should have to pay a private tax prep company about $180 every year to access a public benefit that could lift them out of poverty. Worse, those who receive for-profit tax assistance are often encouraged to make poor financial decisions like getting their refund right away – in the form of a hefty high-cost short-term loan.
Besides reducing poverty, the EITC has some other really awesome impacts, as proven by research:
- People eat better when they access the EITC.
- Low-income women who access the EITC have healthier babies.
- Children who benefit from the EITC have better school performance, and into adulthood have higher earnings.
You can help make this tax season another HUGE success. Become a client greeter or tax preparer at our tax site!